Coronavirus cases and fatalities in Nigeria
The number is based on confirmed diagnostic tests. It is very likely that the true number of COVID-19 cases is higher as many cases are asymptomatic.
New COVID-19 cases and fatalities per day
This is a good indicator of how the situation is evolving — when there is a steady decreasing trend, it is an indicator that the spread of the disease is slowing down.
If you’d like to use these graphs and maps on your site or articles, please e-mail us.
What is COVID-19?
Coronaviruses are zoonotic viruses, meaning they are normally transmitted between animals and people. The coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is caused by a new strain of coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) that has not been previously identified in humans. It was first reported to WHO on the 31st of December, 2019 in Wuhan, China.
What is the source of COVID-19?
Scientists and public health officials are working hard to identify the source of the SARS-CoV-2 which is the virus that causes COVID-19. The initial transmission appeared to be from an animal source, but there has been person-to-person transmission in countries.
Is COVID-19 airborne?
When a person with coronavirus coughs or exhales, droplets land on objects and surfaces around the person. Other people then catch the virus by touching these objects or surfaces, then touching their eyes, nose or mouth.
People can also catch coronavirus if they breathe in these droplets. This is why it is important to stay at least 2 metres away from a person who is coughing or sneezing.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
- Breathing difficulties
Are countries with hot weather immune to COVID-19?
From the evidence so far, the virus causing COVID-19 can be transmitted in ALL AREAS, including areas with hot and humid weather.
What does self-isolation mean?
Self-isolation is an important way of controlling the spread of COVID-19. It means that anyone who is returning to Nigeria must stay at home and in strict isolation from their families for 14 days. This is to limit contact with people, protect yourself and loved ones. The NCDC guidelines on this can be found HERE
What does social distancing mean?
This is an effective strategy to reduce physical interaction between people towards delaying and reducing the wide spread of COVID-19 in a community.
This measure involves strict adherence to;
- Non-contact greetings (avoiding shaking of hands and hugs)
- Maintaining at least 2 metres (5 feet) physical distance between yourself and individuals and;
- Closure of activities that will cause any form of gathering including schools, houses of worship, and social events.
Coronavirus in Nigeria News:
- August 12, 2020Musician Accused Of Blasphemy Chained In Underground Cell At Kano Prison, Denied Access To Lawyer, Family
Yahaya Sharif-Aminu, the musician sentenced to death for blasphemy against Prophet Muhammad by a Shari’a court, has been held incommunicado and being chained in an underground cell at the Kano Prison, …
- August 12, 2020EXCLUSIVE: Babalakin Set To Announce UNILAG Vice Chancellor’s Removal Over Corruption Allegations
BABALAKIN OLAWALE NILAG VC, Prof Oluwatoyin Ogundipe Barring a last minute change of strategy, Chairman of the Governing Council of the University of Lagos, Akoka, Dr Wale Babalakin, will today announ …
- August 12, 2020Union Issues 14-day Ultimatum To MTN Over Anti-labour Practices
The Private Telecommunications and Communications Senior Staff Association of Nigeria in collaboration with the Nigeria Labour Congress on Tuesday threatened to embark on a two-week industrial action …
- August 12, 2020Another Lagos Council Boss Dies Of COVID-19
Chairman of Onigbongbo Local Council Development Area of Lagos State, Mr Babatunde Oke, is dead. Oke, who is serving his second term in the council, died on Wednesday from complications arising from C …
- August 12, 2020Blasphemy: Don’t Meddle In Islamic Matters, Shagari’s Grandson Tells Christians
Bello Shagari, a grandson of a former Nigerian President, Shehu Shagari, has urged Christians not to meddle in Islamic matters. Shagari made this known while reacting to the decision of an Upper Shari …
- August 12, 2020Southern Kaduna Killings, Ethnic Cleansing, Northern Bishops Say, Demand Arrest Of Gunmen
The Pentecostal Bishops’ Forum of the 19 Northern States, on Tuesday, condemned the killings in Southern Kaduna, describing the situation as “wicked collaboration,” which had “assumed a dangerous dime …
- August 12, 2020Ooni Of Ife Admits Reporting Tricycle Rider To DSS Over Text Message, Alleged Impersonation
The Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, has admitted reporting a tricycle rider named Lawal Moshood to the Department of State Services after his mobile phone was allegedly used to send a text message …
- August 12, 2020Our Mandate Is Igbo Presidency, Not Biafra – Ohanaeze
Ohaneze Ndigbo The Igbo apex socio-cultural organisation, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, on Tuesday said the Igbo did not mandate it to pursue the actualisation of a Sovereign State of Biafra. It maintained that it …
- August 12, 2020Demonstrations Do Not Solve Problems, People Could Die, Goodluck Jonathan Says, Urges Mali Protesters To Embrace Dialogue
The chief international mediator in Mali’s deepening political crisis, Nigeria’s ex-president Goodluck Jonathan, has urged the political opposition to stop staging protests and to enter dialogue inste …
- August 12, 2020Nigerians Dig Out 2017 Tweet By Osinbajo On Apapa Gridlock, Lament Failure To Fix It Three Years
Three years after Vice President Yemi Osinbajo said the Nigerian government would end the perennial traffic situation on the Apapa Expressway in Lagos, very little progress appears to have been achiev …