Coronavirus cases and fatalities in Nigeria
The number is based on confirmed diagnostic tests. It is very likely that the true number of COVID-19 cases is higher as many cases are asymptomatic.
New COVID-19 cases and fatalities per day
This is a good indicator of how the situation is evolving — when there is a steady decreasing trend, it is an indicator that the spread of the disease is slowing down.
If you’d like to use these graphs and maps on your site or articles, please e-mail us.
What is COVID-19?
Coronaviruses are zoonotic viruses, meaning they are normally transmitted between animals and people. The coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is caused by a new strain of coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) that has not been previously identified in humans. It was first reported to WHO on the 31st of December, 2019 in Wuhan, China.
What is the source of COVID-19?
Scientists and public health officials are working hard to identify the source of the SARS-CoV-2 which is the virus that causes COVID-19. The initial transmission appeared to be from an animal source, but there has been person-to-person transmission in countries.
Is COVID-19 airborne?
When a person with coronavirus coughs or exhales, droplets land on objects and surfaces around the person. Other people then catch the virus by touching these objects or surfaces, then touching their eyes, nose or mouth.
People can also catch coronavirus if they breathe in these droplets. This is why it is important to stay at least 2 metres away from a person who is coughing or sneezing.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
- Breathing difficulties
Are countries with hot weather immune to COVID-19?
From the evidence so far, the virus causing COVID-19 can be transmitted in ALL AREAS, including areas with hot and humid weather.
What does self-isolation mean?
Self-isolation is an important way of controlling the spread of COVID-19. It means that anyone who is returning to Nigeria must stay at home and in strict isolation from their families for 14 days. This is to limit contact with people, protect yourself and loved ones. The NCDC guidelines on this can be found HERE
What does social distancing mean?
This is an effective strategy to reduce physical interaction between people towards delaying and reducing the wide spread of COVID-19 in a community.
This measure involves strict adherence to;
- Non-contact greetings (avoiding shaking of hands and hugs)
- Maintaining at least 2 metres (5 feet) physical distance between yourself and individuals and;
- Closure of activities that will cause any form of gathering including schools, houses of worship, and social events.
Coronavirus in Nigeria News:
- January 21, 2021APC Sets Up Committee To Update Membership Register, Revalidate Members
Mai Mala Buni The ruling All Progressives Congress has set up an 11-member National Registration Committee. According to the party, the inauguration of the new committee will be done by the Chairman o …
- January 21, 2021EXPOSED: Buratai, Olonisakin, Two Other Service Chiefs Get Eight Flashy Vehicles, Over 40 Soldiers, More As New Retirement Benefits
L-R: The Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas; the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen Abayomi Olonisakin; the Chief of the Army Staff, Lt Gen Tukur Buratai; and the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marsha …
- January 21, 2021Southern, Middle Belt Leaders Warn Nigerian Government Over Support For Fulani Herdsmen In Ondo
File photo used to illustrate story. The Southern and Middle Belt Leaders Forum (SMBLF) has cautioned the Nigerian government against supporting Fulani herdsmen over the directive given by the Ondo St …
- January 21, 2021Over 500 Bandits Promise To Surrender In Kaduna After Peace Deal With Sheikh Gumi, Police Commissioner
Kaduna Police Commissioner Umar Muri Over 500 bandits have agreed to lay down their arms after a peace deal that was struck by Sheikh Ahmad Gumi, a prominent Islamic cleric. According to Desert Herald …
- January 21, 2021Police Probe Officers For Torturing UNILAG Student To Coma
The Nigeria Police Force has said it has begun investigating power-drunk policemen who tortured a University of Lagos student, John Akinwale, till he went into a coma in the Mosafejo, Oshodi area of L …
- January 21, 2021BREAKING: Bandits Kill 37 In Fresh Attack On Zamfara Community
Gunmen suspected to be bandits have killed 37 people in Dutsin Gari village, Kanoma district in the Maru Local Government Area of Zamfara State. Residents told SaharaReporters that the armed men arriv …
- January 21, 2021Police Officers, Kinsman Putting Pressure On Me To Withdraw Case Against My Husband Who Defiled Our 7-year-old Child
Illustration A woman, who had spoken out against the defilement of her seven-year-old daughter, says the police are putting pressure on her to withdraw the case against her husband who allegedly sexua …
- January 21, 2021I Kidnapped My Ex-boyfriend For N5m Ransom When He Refused To Marry Me —Female Kidnapper
A 23-year-old lady, Maryam Mohammed, has said she kidnapped her ex-boyfriend who refused to marry her after years of courtship. According to the Kano State Police Command, Maryam, who is popularly kno …
- January 21, 2021Biden Officially Rescinds Trump's Muslim Travel Ban
President Joe Biden President Joe Biden rescinded former President Donald Trump’s travel ban on several Muslim-majority countries, fulfilling his pledge to Muslim and immigrant advocacy groups and all …
- January 21, 2021Ondo: Presidency Doesn't Know Meaning Of Forest Reserves –Gani Adams
Gani Adams The Aare Onakakanfo of Yorubaland, Gani Adams, said Ondo State Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu, has constitutional rights to give the notice to quit to illegal residents in the state’s forest re …