Coronavirus cases and fatalities in Ireland
The number is based on confirmed diagnostic tests. It is very likely that the true number of COVID-19 cases is higher as many cases are asymptomatic.
New COVID-19 cases and fatalities per day in Ireland
This is a good indicator of “flattening the curve” — when there is a steady decreasing trend, it is an indicator that the spread of the disease is slowing down.
If you’d like to use these graphs and maps on your site or articles, please e-mail us.
What is the 2019 novel Coronavirus?
A novel (new) coronavirus that has not previously been seen in humans was identified in Wuhan, China in December 2019. This virus is called Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) and the disease that it causes is called Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). The first cases of COVID-19 were identified in people working in seafood and live animal market in Wuhan. It is thought that humans picked up the virus from animals at the market
Common symptoms include:
- a fever (high temperature – 38 degrees Celsius or above)
- a cough – this can be any kind of cough, not just dry
- shortness of breath (breathing difficulties)
If you have symptoms, you may be more likely to become dehydrated.
More information on the symptoms and causes of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) is available from the HSE.
Coronavirus in Ireland News:
- August 12, 2020Vulnerable babies at risk of cross-infection
There is a severe lack of isolation facilities to treat Covid-19 patients in maternity wards This story continues at Vulnerable babies at risk of cross-infection Or just read more coverage at Irish Me …
- August 12, 2020Post-Brexit contingency measures in place
Service provision agreements signed with 21 UK hospitals as contingency to maintain services This story continues at Post-Brexit contingency measures in place Or just read more coverage at Irish Medic …
- August 12, 2020Work on new HSE oversight arrangements
New oversight agreement to set out relationship between health’s governing bodies This story continues at Work on new HSE oversight arrangements Or just read more coverage at Irish Medical Times …
- August 12, 2020Opportunity for NCHD General Adult Psychiatrist
This story continues at Opportunity for NCHD General Adult Psychiatrist Or just read more coverage at Irish Medical Times …
- August 10, 2020New National Cancer Programme chief takes up post
Prof Risteárd Ó Laoide replaces Dr Jerome Coffey at helm of National Cancer Control Programme This story continues at New National Cancer Programme chief takes up post Or just read more coverage at Ir …
- August 10, 2020SARS-CoV-2 virus strains circulating in Ireland identified
Genome sequencing, conducted by the NVRL, has revealed the lineage of SARS-CoV-2 predominating across Ireland This story continues at SARS-CoV-2 virus strains circulating in Ireland identified Or just …
- August 10, 2020Decision Support Service launches website
Decision Support Service’s new website ushers in roll out of service in 2022 This story continues at Decision Support Service launches website Or just read more coverage at Irish Medical Times …
- August 7, 2020DOCTOR REQUIRED FOR PRIVATE PRACTICE IN LIMERICK CITY
Doctor 1. This story continues at DOCTOR REQUIRED FOR PRIVATE PRACTICE IN LIMERICK CITY Or just read more coverage at Irish Medical Times …
- August 7, 2020Commit to fund cancer services, Health Minister urged
Cancer services are ‘extremely vulnerable’ and have been unable to meet demand This story continues at Commit to fund cancer services, Health Minister urged Or just read more coverage at Irish Medical …
- August 7, 2020Galway hospitals see over 36,000 virtual outpatient consultations since outbreak
Clinical teams at both University Hospital Galway (UHG) and Merlin Park University Hospital have delivered in excess of 36,000 virtual outpatient consultations since the beginning of the Covid-19 pand …