Coronavirus cases and fatalities in Ireland
The number is based on confirmed diagnostic tests. It is very likely that the true number of COVID-19 cases is higher as many cases are asymptomatic.
New COVID-19 cases and fatalities per day in Ireland
This is a good indicator of “flattening the curve” — when there is a steady decreasing trend, it is an indicator that the spread of the disease is slowing down.
If you’d like to use these graphs and maps on your site or articles, please e-mail us.
What is the 2019 novel Coronavirus?
A novel (new) coronavirus that has not previously been seen in humans was identified in Wuhan, China in December 2019. This virus is called Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) and the disease that it causes is called Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). The first cases of COVID-19 were identified in people working in seafood and live animal market in Wuhan. It is thought that humans picked up the virus from animals at the market
Common symptoms include:
- a fever (high temperature – 38 degrees Celsius or above)
- a cough – this can be any kind of cough, not just dry
- shortness of breath (breathing difficulties)
If you have symptoms, you may be more likely to become dehydrated.
More information on the symptoms and causes of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) is available from the HSE.
Coronavirus in Ireland News:
- January 21, 2021‘Quick-assemble’ national Covid-19 response service promptly triumphs
Two weeks after winning big at the Irish Healthcare Awards 2020 for establishing Ireland’s first-ever national Covid-19 screening programme, the National Ambulance Service’s emergency crews responded …
- January 21, 2021Safe to treat low-risk stroke patients at outpatient TIA clinic
‘Harbinger for the imminent development of stroke’ is associated with considerable morbidity and mortality This story continues at Safe to treat low-risk stroke patients at outpatient TIA clinic Or ju …
- January 21, 2021Open letter: Doctors on the couch — Illuminating Irish doctors’ experience of attending for psychotherapy
Dear Doctor, You are invited to participate in a study entitled “An exploration of medical professionals as clients: Illuminating Irish doctors’ experience of attending for psychotherapeutic treatment …
- January 21, 2021‘Out with the old’, and my parting wish
Lloyd Mudiwa writes that while ‘out with the old’ may well be the clarion call for the nation in the year just passed, some things are worth holding on to in 2021 We have said goodbye to 2020 since ou …
- January 21, 2021Cabinet accepts €91m deal for GPs to support Covid-19 vaccination
GPs to begin vaccinating third priority allocation group aged 70 and older under new deal This story continues at Cabinet accepts €91m deal for GPs to support Covid-19 vaccination Or just read more co …
- January 21, 2021No reports of vaccine-related anaphylaxis
EMA confirmed no deaths attributed to a Covid-19 vaccine to date This story continues at No reports of vaccine-related anaphylaxis Or just read more coverage at Irish Medical Times …
- January 21, 2021‘Quarantine all incoming travellers’ — epidemiologist
Health Department requires recent arrivals from Brazil to restrict movements and arrange Covid-19 test This story continues at ‘Quarantine all incoming travellers’ — epidemiologist Or just read more c …
- January 21, 2021PHDs accept talks with Health Department
IMO public health doctors seek ‘resolution’ in accepting invite to talks This story continues at PHDs accept talks with Health Department Or just read more coverage at Irish Medical Times …
- January 21, 2021MCAP added to HSE Service Plan
Four cannabis-based products currently ‘acceptable’ for medicinal access programme This story continues at MCAP added to HSE Service Plan Or just read more coverage at Irish Medical Times …
- January 21, 2021Pension limits – a major cause of concern for hospital doctors
Following a significant increase in queries from HSE hospital consultants concerned at the impact of pension limits on their entitlements after a recent High Court ruling, Ronan McGrath of Oakwood Fin …