Coronavirus cases and fatalities in Australia
The number is based on confirmed diagnostic tests. It is very likely that the true number of COVID-19 cases is higher as many cases are asymptomatic.
New COVID-19 cases and fatalities per day in Australia
This is a good indicator of “flattening the curve” — when there is a steady decreasing trend, it is an indicator that the spread of the disease is slowing down.
If you’d like to use these graphs and maps on your site or articles, please e-mail us.
Coronavirus symptoms (according to Australian Government Department of Health)
- sore throat
- shortness of breath
If you are sick and think you might have COVID-19, check your symptoms using healthdirect’s Coronavirus (COVID-19) Symptom Checker.
How to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 in Australia:
- practise good hygiene
- practise social distancing
- follow the limits for public gatherings
- understand how to self-isolate if you need to.
See more information and advice for people most at risk, including:
Looking after your mental health
Prioritising your mental health is important in difficult times.
If you are feeling worried or anxious about COVID-19 there are steps you can take. Find out more at Head to Health’s COVID‑19 support page.
The Prime Minister has activated the Emergency Response Plan for Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).
To find out how the Australian Government is managing COVID-19, go to Government response to the outbreak.
Coronavirus in Australia News:
- May 31, 2020Chaos in New York
- May 31, 2020NYPD patrol cars plow into protest crowds as US unrest escalates
A New York Police Department patrol car has run into protesters in Brooklyn after a demonstration the previous night descended into chaos that left people bloodied and other vehicles burned.Huge crowd …
- May 31, 2020Rio Tinto apologises to Indigenous owners after destroying 46,000-year-old site
Mining giant Rio Tinto has apologised to traditional owners in Western Australia's north after destroying a significant indigenous site dating back 46,000 years, saying it is urgently reviewing p …
- May 31, 2020Riots raise fears of new waves of coronavirus outbreak
The mayor of Atlanta, one of dozens of US cities hit by massive protests after the police killing of a black man, has a message for demonstrators: "If you were out protesting last night, you prob …
- May 31, 2020The coronavirus restrictions easing from tomorrow
More coronavirus restrictions will ease across Australia from tomorrow with businesses reopening in four states.QUEENSLANDQueensland has brought forward the easing of COVID-19 restrictions by almost t …
- May 31, 2020Twelve injured in stabbing attack at Lithgow jail
Twelve inmates have been injured during a brawl at Lithgow jail in the NSW Blue Mountains.Among the injured is a 36-year-old male inmate with stab wounds to the chest and head. He was airlifted to Wes …
- May 31, 2020Ex-Green Beret nabbed in exec's escape has lived on the edge
Decades before a security camera caught Michael Taylor coming off a jet that was carrying one of the world's most-wanted fugitives, the former Green Beret had a hard-earned reputation for taking …
- May 31, 2020Regional businesses say 'bring it on' as travel restrictions ease
Slammed with back-to-back blows, this year has proven to be one of the most challenging for small businesses in Braidwood, a small village nestled between Canberra and the NSW south coast.Bushfires ra …
- May 31, 20209News correspondent Tim Arvier detained at gunpoint by police in Minnesota
Tim Arvier, 9News US correspondent, has been detained by police at gunpoint while reporting on the riots.Arvier is in Minneapolis, Minnesota, where the riots began last week over the death of black ma …
- May 31, 2020Australia's 'safe and cautious approach' to lifting COVID-19 restrictions