Coronavirus cases and fatalities in Australia
The number is based on confirmed diagnostic tests. It is very likely that the true number of COVID-19 cases is higher as many cases are asymptomatic.
New COVID-19 cases and fatalities per day in Australia
This is a good indicator of “flattening the curve” — when there is a steady decreasing trend, it is an indicator that the spread of the disease is slowing down.
If you’d like to use these graphs and maps on your site or articles, please e-mail us.
Coronavirus symptoms (according to Australian Government Department of Health)
- sore throat
- shortness of breath
If you are sick and think you might have COVID-19, check your symptoms using healthdirect’s Coronavirus (COVID-19) Symptom Checker.
How to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 in Australia:
- practise good hygiene
- practise social distancing
- follow the limits for public gatherings
- understand how to self-isolate if you need to.
See more information and advice for people most at risk, including:
Looking after your mental health
Prioritising your mental health is important in difficult times.
If you are feeling worried or anxious about COVID-19 there are steps you can take. Find out more at Head to Health’s COVID‑19 support page.
The Prime Minister has activated the Emergency Response Plan for Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).
To find out how the Australian Government is managing COVID-19, go to Government response to the outbreak.
Coronavirus in Australia News:
- October 21, 2020Pope endorses same-sex civil unions for the first time
Pope Francis has endorsed same-sex civil unions for the first time as pope while being interviewed for the feature-length documentary Francesco, which premiered on Wednesday at the Rome Film Festival. …
- October 21, 2020Coronavirus warning for Bathurst 1000 motor race attendees
Anyone who attended the Bathurst 1000 motor race at the weekend should be tested for coronavirus if they develop symptoms, NSW health authorities said tonight, after remnants of the COVID-19 virus wer …
- October 21, 2020Australian heart surgery breakthrough a boon for COVID-19 patients
Australian experts have found a way to treat highly contagious COVID-19 patients for ailing hearts without moving them out of intensive care.The world-first study has been fast-tracked for coronavirus …
- October 21, 2020Women sledgehammer their way into store before ramming police
A group of women allegedly used sledgehammers to break their way into a Woolworths supermarket before ramming a police vehicle with their getaway car on the Gold Coast.The group allegedly smashed thei …
- October 21, 2020Brisbane tradie finds rare gold coin under tree
A Brisbane tradesman-turned-metal detector enthusiast has discovered an extremely expensive and rare gold coin while searching his local area on Saturday night.Wayne Ryan is no stranger to finding hid …
- October 21, 2020Baby born on highway as mum caught out on way to hospital
When Brittney McCauley went into labour this morning, her partner James was no doubt hoping it would be a simple task to drive her 30 minutes from their Shell Cove home to Wollongong Hospital, south o …
- October 21, 2020Family's plea for change after allegedly abused child takes own life
A Western Australian grieving family is demanding answers after their 11-year-old girl took her own life after her alleged abuser was released on bail.The young girl had recently been living in close …
- October 21, 2020Father's emotional message two years after daughter's unsolved murder
A father who found his daughter's body in the dunes of a Queensland beach after she vanished on a walk with her dog said he wishes he could trade his life for hers. Troy Cordingley wrote an emoti …
- October 21, 2020Growing North Korean nuclear threat awaits US election winner
“Where’s the war?” That’s how US President Donald Trump defends his North Korea policy at campaign rallies even though he’s joined the list of US presidents unable to stop the ever-growing nuclear thr …
- October 21, 2020State announces eased restrictions for gyms and churches