Coronavirus cases and fatalities in Australia
The number is based on confirmed diagnostic tests. It is very likely that the true number of COVID-19 cases is higher as many cases are asymptomatic.
New COVID-19 cases and fatalities per day in Australia
This is a good indicator of “flattening the curve” — when there is a steady decreasing trend, it is an indicator that the spread of the disease is slowing down.
If you’d like to use these graphs and maps on your site or articles, please e-mail us.
Coronavirus symptoms (according to Australian Government Department of Health)
- sore throat
- shortness of breath
If you are sick and think you might have COVID-19, check your symptoms using healthdirect’s Coronavirus (COVID-19) Symptom Checker.
How to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 in Australia:
- practise good hygiene
- practise social distancing
- follow the limits for public gatherings
- understand how to self-isolate if you need to.
See more information and advice for people most at risk, including:
Looking after your mental health
Prioritising your mental health is important in difficult times.
If you are feeling worried or anxious about COVID-19 there are steps you can take. Find out more at Head to Health’s COVID‑19 support page.
The Prime Minister has activated the Emergency Response Plan for Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).
To find out how the Australian Government is managing COVID-19, go to Government response to the outbreak.
Coronavirus in Australia News:
- August 7, 2020Queensland's border closes on millions of Aussies
- August 7, 2020Air India plane crashes in Calicut after skidding off the runway
An Air India Express flight with 190 people on board skidded off a runway and split in two while landing Friday in heavy rain in southern India, an official said. A lawmaker said both pilots were dead …
- August 7, 2020Queensland closes its border to NSW and the ACT
Millions of Australians are now locked out of Queensland.Hard border closures with NSW and the ACT came into effect at 1am today and authorities have warned those who are crossing into the state there …
- August 7, 2020US sanctions pro-China leader of Hong Kong, other officials
The US has imposed sanctions on Hong Kong officials, including the pro-China leader of the government, accusing them of undermining autonomy and restricting freedom of expression and assembly in the f …
- August 7, 2020Lebanon president 'knew' of chemicals at port in July
Lebanese President Michel Aoun knew about the huge stockpile of explosive material stored at Beirut's port nearly three weeks before it blew up, he said Friday (local time), adding he had ordered …
- August 7, 2020JobKeeper changes explained: Am I still eligible?
JobKeeper has been extended for another six months in a dramatic backflip from the federal government.But some things about the scheme will change at the end of next month, and new measures will be re …
- August 7, 2020Russia's COVID-19 vaccine race could backfire
Russia boasts that it's about to become the first country to approve a COVID-19 vaccine, with mass vaccinations planned as early as October using shots that are yet to complete clinical trials – …
- August 7, 2020Police officer injured amid fresh Portland protest clashes
Portland's nightly protests turned violent again even after the city's mayor pleaded for demonstrators to stay off the streets and a police officer hit by a rock early Friday (local time) su …
- August 7, 2020Perth woman injured in second WA whale encounter in one week
A 30-year-old Perth woman is nursing bruised ribs and cuts after having the wind knocked out of her by a 30 tonne whale.Alicia Ramsay was participating in a Ningaloo Discovery Whale Shark snorkelling …
- August 7, 2020'Just delivered a baby': Dad's call to Triple Zero after roadside birth
"We've just delivered a baby."These were the words of a first-time father to a Triple Zero operator after his partner gave birth to their child on the side of a busy Sydney motorway.Dav …