A British man blew a small hole in his neck after holding in a sneeze. Doctors warn people not to hold sneezes in, as it can have potentially devastating consequences.
The young man, who was described as "previously fit", felt a strong sneeze coming his way. He pinched his nose and tried to keep it in, and as a result, he managed to rupture the back of his throat. He basically ripped a hole in his neck, leaving him barely able to speak or swallow, and in considerable pain.
He immediately went to a hospital (the Leicester Royal Infirmary), where he was admitted on the spot and was fed by tube and given intravenous antibiotics until the swelling and pain had subsided. Doctors didn't want to take any risks, especially after the damage was confirmed by a computed tomography scan. He was released after seven days, as he slowly regained the ability to eat (soft) foods.
Doctors learned that the patient was holding in sneezes for pretty much his entire life.
"This 34-year-old chap said he was always trying to hold his sneeze because he thinks it is very unhygienic to sneeze into the atmosphere or into someone's face. That means he's been holding his sneezes for the last 30 years or so, but this time it was different," case report author Dr. Wanding Yang said.