Coronavirus cases and fatalities in Japan
The number is based on confirmed diagnostic tests. It is very likely that the true number of COVID-19 cases is higher as many cases are asymptomatic.
New COVID-19 cases and fatalities per day in Japan
This is a good indicator of “flattening the curve” — when there is a steady decreasing trend, it is an indicator that the spread of the disease is slowing down.
If you’d like to use these graphs and maps on your site or articles, please e-mail us.
What are coronaviruses?
Coronaviruses are a family of viruses that cause infection in humans and various animals, including birds and mammals such as camels, cats and bats. Some animal coronaviruses are zoonotic, meaning they are communicable from animals to humans. To date, it has been confirmed that seven coronaviruses can also cause infection in humans. When animal coronaviruses evolve, infect humans and spread between humans, this can lead to outbreaks such as MERS-CoV and SARS.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
The symptoms range from mild to severe respiratory disorders with fever, coughing and breathing difficulties. The elderly and people with existing chronic conditions appear to be more vulnerable to serious symptoms. Certain population groups are considered to be more at risk; they are more vulnerable to developing serious symptoms. These are mainly people over 65 years of age and people suffering from serious chronic diseases.
Coronavirus in Japan News:
- April 9, 2021Prince Philip, husband of Queen Elizabeth II, dies at 99
The Duke of Edinburgh had been by his wife’s side throughout her 69-year reign, during which he earned a reputation for a tough, no-nonsense attitude …
- April 9, 2021Outspoken and irascible, Prince Philip was a fierce defender of the crown
A blunt-speaking naval officer who as Queen Elizabeth’s dutiful consort helped modernize the British monarchy, Prince Philip might be best remembered for his gruff public …
- April 9, 2021Japan scrambled less jets against China, other countries in fiscal 2020
The ASDF frequently scrambles fighter jets against Chinese aircraft, while China’s maritime assertiveness continues to be a source of concern for Japan.
- April 9, 2021Osaka logs 883 coronavirus cases as Tokyo reports 537
The average number of daily new cases in Tokyo jumped to 440.9 in the week through Friday from the preceding week’s 381.4.
- April 9, 2021Stricter COVID-19 measures to be applied in Tokyo, Kyoto and Okinawa
In the greater Tokyo metropolitan area, a highly infectious strain of the coronavirus first identified in the U.K. — N501Y — now accounts for a …
- April 9, 2021U.S. Olympic hopefuls open to receiving COVID-19 vaccine
The United States Olympic & Paralympic Committee (USOPC) reiterated that it would not require athletes to get a shot to compete in Tokyo, but will …
- April 9, 2021Black golf pioneer Lee Elder cherishes moment in spotlight at Masters
“It was one of the most emotional experiences I’ve ever been involved in,” Elder said. “It’s something I’ll cherish the rest of my life.”
- April 9, 2021Barcelona worried upcoming ‘clasico’ could be Lionel Messi’s last
Messi is not expected to consider offers to renew his contract until the end of the season.
- April 9, 2021Dollar nearly flat at around ¥109.50 in Tokyo
The dollar pared early losses to move around ¥109.50 in late Tokyo trading Friday, thanks to a rise in U.S. interest rates.At 5 p.m., the …
- April 9, 2021Government ‘cannot revoke’ Fuji broadcast permit for past violation: minister
Fuji Media’s foreign ownership share exceeded the 20% threshold between September 2012 and March 2014, in violation of Japan’s broadcasting law.