Coronavirus cases and fatalities in Japan
The number is based on confirmed diagnostic tests. It is very likely that the true number of COVID-19 cases is higher as many cases are asymptomatic.
New COVID-19 cases and fatalities per day in Japan
This is a good indicator of “flattening the curve” — when there is a steady decreasing trend, it is an indicator that the spread of the disease is slowing down.
If you’d like to use these graphs and maps on your site or articles, please e-mail us.
What are coronaviruses?
Coronaviruses are a family of viruses that cause infection in humans and various animals, including birds and mammals such as camels, cats and bats. Some animal coronaviruses are zoonotic, meaning they are communicable from animals to humans. To date, it has been confirmed that seven coronaviruses can also cause infection in humans. When animal coronaviruses evolve, infect humans and spread between humans, this can lead to outbreaks such as MERS-CoV and SARS.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
The symptoms range from mild to severe respiratory disorders with fever, coughing and breathing difficulties. The elderly and people with existing chronic conditions appear to be more vulnerable to serious symptoms. Certain population groups are considered to be more at risk; they are more vulnerable to developing serious symptoms. These are mainly people over 65 years of age and people suffering from serious chronic diseases.
Coronavirus in Japan News:
- August 12, 2020Scottish leader says injuries reported after train derails
Police and paramedics responded Wednesday to a train derailment in northeast Scotland, where smoke could be seen rising from the site. Officials said there were …
- August 12, 2020Coronavirus changing Japanese summer traditions
Fireworks events and summer festivals are increasingly going digital with new forms of seasonal events emerging thanks to technology.
- August 12, 2020Tokyo governor’s stay-in-Tokyo request affects prime minister’s holiday plans
Shinzo Abe was forced to abandon a grave visit in his constituency in Yamaguchi Prefecture and attend a local fireworks event on Thursday.
- August 12, 2020JGC wins refinery renovation deal in Iraq
Japanese engineering company JGC Holdings Corp. said Wednesday that it has won a contract to renovate a refinery in Iraq.The deal between subsidiary JGC Corp. …
- August 12, 2020Japan to offer Bangladesh loans worth ¥338 billion for infrastructure
The Japanese government said Wednesday it will extend loans totaling up to ¥338.25 billion ($3.17 billion) to Bangladesh for seven projects, most of which will …
- August 12, 2020South Korea and U.S. to hold smaller military drills due to coronavirus
South Korea and the United States will kick off their annual joint military drills this week but without mobilizing U.S.-based troops after scaling back the …
- August 12, 2020Companies test antibody shortcut drugs to treat, prevent COVID-19
With a coronavirus vaccine still months off, companies are rushing to test what may be the next best thing: drugs that deliver antibodies to fight …
- August 12, 2020Back from the dead? Stem cells give hope for revival of Malaysia’s extinct rhinos
Some skin, eggs and tissue samples are all that remain of Malaysia’s last rhino, Iman, who died last November after years of failed breeding attempts.Now …
- August 12, 2020Hitachi and Bombardier to supply trains for operation in Spain
Hitachi Ltd. said Wednesday that the firm and a subsidiary of Canada’s Bombardier Inc. will supply 23 high-speed trains to an Italian railway operator for …
- August 12, 2020Toshiba posts ¥11.35 billion net loss in April-June amid pandemic
Toshiba Corp. reported Wednesday a net loss of ¥11.35 billion ($106 million) in the April-June period due to sluggish performance in its storage device segment …