Coronavirus cases and fatalities in Belgium
The number is based on confirmed diagnostic tests. It is very likely that the true number of COVID-19 cases is higher as many cases are asymptomatic.
New COVID-19 cases and fatalities per day in Belgium
This is a good indicator of “flattening the curve” — when there is a steady decreasing trend, it is an indicator that the spread of the disease is slowing down.
If you’d like to use these graphs and maps on your site or articles, please e-mail us.
What are coronaviruses?
Coronaviruses are a family of viruses that cause infection in humans and various animals, including birds and mammals such as camels, cats and bats. Some animal coronaviruses are zoonotic, meaning they are communicable from animals to humans. To date, it has been confirmed that seven coronaviruses can also cause infection in humans. When animal coronaviruses evolve, infect humans and spread between humans, this can lead to outbreaks such as MERS-CoV and SARS.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
The symptoms range from mild to severe respiratory disorders with fever, coughing and breathing difficulties. The elderly and people with existing chronic conditions appear to be more vulnerable to serious symptoms. Certain population groups are considered to be more at risk; they are more vulnerable to developing serious symptoms. These are mainly people over 65 years of age and people suffering from serious chronic diseases.
Coronavirus in Belgium News:
- May 30, 2020Thirteen people charged in France over Essex lorry deaths
- May 27, 2020Global report: EU countries block hydroxychloroquine, South Korea fears new spike
- May 27, 2020Essex lorry deaths: 26 arrested in France and Belgium
- May 19, 2020Belgium confirms inquiry into Malta-China spy threat
- May 18, 2020Coronavirus cases fall in Belgium amid row over nurses' pay
- May 17, 2020Coronavirus: medics turn backs on Belgium's prime minister in silent protest – video
- May 17, 2020Llama antibodies could help fight coronavirus, study finds
- May 16, 2020Across the world, figures reveal horrific toll of care home deaths
- May 11, 2020Can coronavirus cure Brussels of its addiction to driving?
- May 10, 2020Belgium experiments with 'corona bubbles' to ease social restrictions