Coronavirus cases and fatalities in Belgium
The number is based on confirmed diagnostic tests. It is very likely that the true number of COVID-19 cases is higher as many cases are asymptomatic.
New COVID-19 cases and fatalities per day in Belgium
This is a good indicator of “flattening the curve” — when there is a steady decreasing trend, it is an indicator that the spread of the disease is slowing down.
If you’d like to use these graphs and maps on your site or articles, please e-mail us.
What are coronaviruses?
Coronaviruses are a family of viruses that cause infection in humans and various animals, including birds and mammals such as camels, cats and bats. Some animal coronaviruses are zoonotic, meaning they are communicable from animals to humans. To date, it has been confirmed that seven coronaviruses can also cause infection in humans. When animal coronaviruses evolve, infect humans and spread between humans, this can lead to outbreaks such as MERS-CoV and SARS.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
The symptoms range from mild to severe respiratory disorders with fever, coughing and breathing difficulties. The elderly and people with existing chronic conditions appear to be more vulnerable to serious symptoms. Certain population groups are considered to be more at risk; they are more vulnerable to developing serious symptoms. These are mainly people over 65 years of age and people suffering from serious chronic diseases.
Coronavirus in Belgium News:
- October 20, 2020Bulgaria makes masks mandatory – as it happened
- October 19, 2020Van Damme saves life of chihuahua after row over fake passport
- October 19, 2020Ypres chestnut tree battered but unbowed by wars wins Belgian award
- October 19, 2020Belgium facing 'tsunami' of Covid infections, health minister says
- October 18, 2020Covid in Europe: protests in Czech Republic, Ireland to toughen rules
- October 15, 2020Covid in Europe: how countries are tackling second wave
- October 14, 2020European roundup: French cities given curfew; Italy breaks March record
- October 8, 2020Belgian ambassador throws King Charles II treaty into EU fishing debate
- October 7, 2020Berlin nightlife given first curfew in 70 years as Covid cases surge
- October 7, 2020The birth of Belgium – archive, 1830