Coronavirus cases and fatalities in Belgium
The number is based on confirmed diagnostic tests. It is very likely that the true number of COVID-19 cases is higher as many cases are asymptomatic.
New COVID-19 cases and fatalities per day in Belgium
This is a good indicator of “flattening the curve” — when there is a steady decreasing trend, it is an indicator that the spread of the disease is slowing down.
If you’d like to use these graphs and maps on your site or articles, please e-mail us.
What are coronaviruses?
Coronaviruses are a family of viruses that cause infection in humans and various animals, including birds and mammals such as camels, cats and bats. Some animal coronaviruses are zoonotic, meaning they are communicable from animals to humans. To date, it has been confirmed that seven coronaviruses can also cause infection in humans. When animal coronaviruses evolve, infect humans and spread between humans, this can lead to outbreaks such as MERS-CoV and SARS.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
The symptoms range from mild to severe respiratory disorders with fever, coughing and breathing difficulties. The elderly and people with existing chronic conditions appear to be more vulnerable to serious symptoms. Certain population groups are considered to be more at risk; they are more vulnerable to developing serious symptoms. These are mainly people over 65 years of age and people suffering from serious chronic diseases.
Coronavirus in Belgium News:
- January 15, 2021Tintin cover art sells for record-breaking €3.2m
- January 13, 2021'The music industry kills artists': Damso, Belgium's biggest rap star
- January 12, 2021Germany and Netherlands likely to extend Covid lockdowns
- January 5, 2021Enter the void: photographs that find beauty in emptiness – in pictures
- January 4, 2021Fashion legend Martin Margiela to make comeback as artist
- December 31, 2020Dozens of residents die at Belgian care home after Santa visit
- December 21, 2020UK warned of further restrictions – as it happened
- December 20, 2020EU to hold crisis talks as countries block travel from UK over new Covid strain
- December 18, 2020Belgian minister tweets EU's Covid vaccine price list to anger of manufacturers
- December 16, 2020French detectorist accused of looting on vast scale after haul discovered at home