Coronavirus cases and fatalities in Austria
The number is based on confirmed diagnostic tests. It is very likely that the true number of COVID-19 cases is higher as many cases are asymptomatic.
New COVID-19 cases and fatalities per day in Austria
This is a good indicator of “flattening the curve” — when there is a steady decreasing trend, it is an indicator that the spread of the disease is slowing down.
If you’d like to use these graphs and maps on your site or articles, please e-mail us.
What is SARS-CoV-2? What is COVID-19?
Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2) is the name given to the 2019 novel coronavirus. COVID-19 is the name given to the disease associated with the virus. SARS-CoV-2 is a new strain of coronavirus that has not been previously identified in humans.
What are some COVID-19 symptoms?
Symptoms of COVID-19 vary in severity from having no symptoms at all (being asymptomatic) to having fever, cough, sore throat, general weakness and fatigue and muscular pain and in the most severe cases, severe pneumonia, acute respiratory distress syndrome, sepsis and septic shock, all potentially leading to death. Reports show that clinical deterioration can occur rapidly, often during the second week of disease.
Recently, anosmia – loss of the sense of smell – (and in some cases the loss of the sense of taste) have been reported as a symptom of a COVID-19 infection. There is already evidence from South Korea, China and Italy that patients with confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection have developed anosmia/hyposmia, in some cases in the absence of any other symptoms.
Coronavirus in Austria News:
- October 15, 2020Covid in Europe: how countries are tackling second wave
- October 12, 2020Failures at Austrian ski resort ‘helped speed up spread' of Covid-19 in Europe
- October 9, 2020In dialogue with Mozart: composer's violin brought back to life
- October 8, 2020Europe struggles to stem rapid resurgence of coronavirus
- September 23, 2020As Covid cases rise again, how are countries in Europe reacting?
- September 17, 2020Covid in Europe: WHO warns of 'alarming' spread across continent
- September 15, 2020The Austrian ski resort that became the centre of Europe’s Covid-19 outbreak
- September 14, 2020How an Austrian ski resort became the centre of Europe’s Covid-19 outbreak – podcast
- September 6, 2020Covid patients have lung damage 'weeks after leaving hospital'
- September 6, 2020Frozen, the sequel: Austrian man beats own record for longest immersion in ice cubes